Offshore risk management is about identifying risks and hazard, assessment of the risk, identifying mitigation actions and carry out the required actions. We provide the best practices for managing risks and hazards to personal safety, assets, environment and reputation both in engineering and in operations.
We provide methods and analysis for marine risk management in engineering and modifications of jack-ups, semi-submersibles, barges, heavy lifting vessels, diving/ROV, anchored vessels, process facilities and more. ME can identify and assess risk, determine mitigation actions and formulate design requirements and acceptance criteria. We perform both qualitative and quantitative methods such as (but not limited to):
- Preliminary hazard analysis (PHA)
- Hazard identification analysis (HAZID)
- Hazard and operability analysis (HAZOP)
- Quantitative risk analysis (QRA)
- Safety case studies
- Design and P&ID review
- Dispersion and explosion analysis
- Escape, evacuation and rescue analysis (EERA)
- Constructability analysis
- Working environment evaluations
- Dropped object studies
- Failure mode and effect analysis (FMECA)
We provide the best practice methods and analysis for risk identification and offshore risk management in planning and execution of marine operations such as load out, transport, anchor handling, rig move, heavy lifting, subsea and SURF installation, dynamic position (DP), hook-up, diving and ROV operations, personnel transport, vessel layup and decommissioning.
ME can identify and assess risk, determine mitigation actions such as improving procedures and/or working methods. We can also identify training and competence needs. Our services are such as (but not limited to):
- Different Hazard and operability analysis (HAZOP) such as:
- Early procedure HAZOP
- Final procedure HAZOP
- System HAZOP
- Facilitation of risk assessment workshops
- Reviews, checklist evaluations and gap-analysis
- Quantitative and semi-quantitative risk assessment
- Dropped object studies
- Competence assessment and training need analysis
- Safe job analysis (SJA)
ME have extensive hands-on practical experience within renewable projects. Our risk approach is engineering lead, with a focus on how to create a safe environment for real world problems. Our multi-disciplinary background gives us a very broad experience base across different industries, continents and technical disciplines. We apply risk tools such as:
- Standardized risk profiling for projects or operations
- CAPEX / commercial risk profiling
- Integrated risk, planning and commercial profiling
- HSE risk categorization and benchmarking
ME has successfully used risk methods in the offshore wind industry in the evaluations of marine operations, qualification of new vessel concepts, risk assessment of wind turbine maintenance tasks, wind farm diving and ROV operations and for offshore wind helicopter operations. Our capacities are such as (but not limited to):
- Lead, facilitate or contribute to HAZID or HAZOP workshops depending on the Client requirements
- Develop risk registers and risk procedures
- Carry out desk-top reviews of Client risk registers and risk procedures
- Carry out inspections
- Provide people who can work within a Client’s team to manage risk within a project
Marine risk management plan
ME can lay out a projects risk management plan (RMP) which encompasses all engineering or marine activities as well as all support activities for the required scope of work. The RMP will comply with the required regulations, codes and standards and will as well include best practices on risk management and follow-up on actions.
Barrier and bow-tie analyses
ME can develop event trees to determine alternative potential scenarios arising from particularly hazardous events. We can also assess technical and non-technical barriers and develop bow-tie diagrams to analyze the events leading up to a hazard as well as the consequences caused by the hazard.
ME can perform several working environment (WE) and occupational health risk assessments (HRA) such as noise, vibration and chemical exposure assessments. We also do assessments of working environment in the design of workplaces and workstations as required by regulations, codes and standards.
Accident and near-miss analysis
ME has experience in accident investigation and near-miss investigation. We are competent and experienced in analyzing both technical aspects as well as human factors issues in accidents and near-misses. We also provide methods for human factors analysis and human error identification.
Organizational risk and safety culture
ME has experience in performing safety culture assessments for companies and organizations. A safety culture assessment will measure the organisation’s attitude towards safety and indicate to what extent a “zero mindset” is implemented at all levels in the organization.
Through cooperating companies, we can perform safety simulations such as gas and smoke dispersion studies, fire integrity studies, and modelling effects of passive fire protection.
Codes and Standards
ME experts has extensive knowledge of marine standards and codes.
We ensure compliance with international standards from bodies such as:
• Bureau Veritas